High quality. Low prices. Hassle-free shopping that gets you in and out. A product assortment and store layout that’s refreshingly simple, yet full of surprises to discover at every visit. Lidl is not your cookie-cutter grocery store. We’re revolutionizing grocery shopping. We have a less complicated process that allows us to simply deliver low prices, high quality, and the best shopping experience for our customers. Here’s how we do it:
- We’re expert product curators. Instead of offering a myriad of brands in every category, our stores offer carefully curated selections that are top-quality and best-prices. So your precious time is not spent sifting through endless versions of products you don’t want.
- You’re busy. We get it. That’s why we’re masters of store efficiency. All our stores have the same intuitive layout, making it easier for you to find what you need quickly.
- We’ve partnered with local and regional farms and suppliers that meet our strict requirements. Every Lidl private label product you’ll find in our stores is a result of a meticulous selection process, including quality testing. We’re also continuing the Lidl tradition of offering new favorites from all over the world, keeping you looking forward to what you’ll find next.
- You’ll notice while shopping at Lidl that most of our assortment is our own private label - around 80% of our products, in fact. This means we’ve especially developed these products to match our high standards and allows us direct oversight of product integrity. Each product undergoes a rigorous testing regimen, which includes taste, quality and sensory testing.
- We’re more than just food. We aim to surprise and delight our customers with a diversified product assortment that changes every Wednesday. You’ll find anything from essentials for the home, such as small appliances or kitchen gadgets, to stylish gear for the whole family, to toys and power tools, to home décor and gardening supplies, and much more.
- We keep overhead to a minimum and eliminate any unnecessary costs. Take our “bring your own bag” policy. Not only does it mean we don’t build the cost of bags into our prices, this policy also saves you time at the register and is a greener solution. Additionally, we display our products in custom boxes instead of replenishing and stocking item by item. Our associates simply replace the boxes as needed, saving hours every week on stocking shelves.
ours is a story four decades in the making
We’re proud of our humble beginnings. In 1973, the first modern Lidl store opened in Ludwigshafen, Germany. With only three employees and about 500 products, this small store became the foundation of Lidl’s far-reaching expansion. During the 1990s, we began opening stores outside of Germany and within a few years, we had stores all across Europe.
We now operate around 11,200 stores and are active in 32 countries, employing more than 310,000 people globally. Our mission is to offer customers the highest quality fresh produce, meat, baked goods and household products at unbelievably low prices.
In June 2015, we established our U.S. headquarters in Arlington, Virginia. Today we sell our award-winning products in more than 100 stores in nine states across the East Coast.
Here’s a look at some of our milestones over the years: